Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Less than 24 hours in Cairo

AN ABBREVIATED VISIT TO EGYPT
One day into a planned ten week trip round Africa and plans had to change quickly to account for the rapidly escalating situation with Corona virus. Border closings and flight cancellations and hotel closures and changing tour arrangements and quarantine restrictions and any number of travel issues would plague the next few weeks. This was just the start, but it was a bad start.

The Pyramid of Khafre

On my way Cairo I found out that all international flights into and out of Egypt would be suspended from March 19th.  I arrived early morning, 3am, Tuesday March 17th. Egypt, specifically Cairo, was to be a transit hub over the next few weeks with trips to Yemen (already cancelled) and Lebanon all transiting through the Egyptian capital.  I had to make some hasty schedule changes but needed to get to a hotel with stable WiFi so I could make some bookings. The first wrinkle was the Airport Hilton Heliopolis was CLOSED completely when I arrived in the taxi at about 4am. With no cell signal and a taxi driver who didn't speak English we headed to Tahrir Square where I knew there would be some big hotels close to the Egyptian Museum.  I ended up at the Hotel Cleopatra - a typically bland but clean local hotel with a nice view over the square and the museum. I'm sure I paid too much for the room but by this point I needed a place to unwind and get flights booked.

Inside the Pyramid of Khafre


The Sphinx

After quickly booking a flight leaving later that night to Dar Es Salaam (Tanzania) I took a shower and a power nap and headed straight to the Pyramids of Giza. I've been at least twice before but this time was simply to grab some better photos and enjoy a leisurely day in familiar surroundings.  The weather was beautiful and the local guide was really good. The pyramids are about a 30 minute drive from Tahrir Square but subject to traffic - it was a slow day in the Egyptian capital and before I knew it I was wandering around the Giza complex and finished up at the Sphinx.

This is as high as you can climb the pyramids

On the way back to the city I stopped for shopping and a lovely dinner and coffee at the Oldish Cafe close to Tahrir Square but all too soon it was time to head back to the airport for the next little adventure. Excited to be travelling again, even if off course, but Tanzania would be another new country (#108) with the added bonus of Zanzibar. 

The Oldish Cafe
 

No comments:

Post a Comment