Tuesday, December 17, 2002

Monteverde to San Jose, Costa Rica

CLOUD FOREST
After spending the best part of a day in bed or on the couch in Monteverde I decided it was time to do a canopy tour. I did one in Nicaragua a few weeks back and loved it so I was keen to take another one. I found one which purported to have 16 cables, a repel and a Tarzan swing so I signed up. The safety aspect was left very much to chance and for the majority of the time the guides didn't bother securing my safety line but that was okay. I was the only one on the course at the time so they let me take as much time as I wanted and I got a few extra goes on the Tarzan swing. Some of the cables were enormous - the last one was over 600m long and took us over a valley and clear above the canopy through the clouds. Many of the other cables went through thick vegetation and a few times I had to kick branches out of the way to prevent any loss of speed.

The following day I went to the Santa Elena cloud forest reserve on my own as Sara was still a little too tender to walk around much - plus she knows what I mean by a walk, two hours, brisk pace, no stops except for one photo. A cloud forest is pretty much like a rain forest but because of its elevation it is permanently covered by cloud which helps keep it damp and fertile year round. I walked all four of the trails in about two and a half hours and finished just before the clouds decided to deliver rain. I heard a lot of wildlife but didn't actually see that much. I kept my eyes peeled for the elusive Sloths but saw nothing but birds and bugs of various hue.

Santa Elena cloud forest reserve

L.A. IS A GREAT BIG FREEWAY, PUT A HUNDRED DOWN AND BUY A CAR
All this morning I was humming 'Do you know the way to San Jose?'- the Deone Warwick version. We caught the 6.30am direct bus from Monteverde to Costa Rica's busy capital, San Jose and it's here we'll be for one night only. Tomorrow night we catch a 14 hour overnight bus to Panama City but before that we want to shop around for some hammocks and other things from the local market. By Saturday this adventure will all be over.

No comments:

Post a Comment